Saturday, July 23, 2011

CO Detector Test

Ever since our very first studio apartment, I have insisted on having a CO Detector.  I didn't even want to sleep in our studio apartment without it.  You see, the oven there was about the size of an EZ Bake one.  But the size wasn't my absolute concern.  The problem is, every time I would turn it on, I would get a terrible headache.  I remember making gingerbread cookies for Christmas --about a month after we were married-- and because there was no window in the kitchen, I had the front door wide open.  Needless to say though, the alarm never went off.

Then while we were living in our last apartment, we see flashing lights parked right across the street.  I grabbed my flip-flops and run over to see what I could do to help and if I should be calling the Bishop.  It turns out the CO Detector went off and fortunately everyone was ok because of the alarm.  I waited with them awhile as the house was blown out but it turned out to not be a big deal because their CO detector was working.

So we move to our new apartment and for the first time, their is a Carbon Monoxide Detector on the wall.  I don't care which alarm we use as long as their is one and it works.  So ours is still in storage.  But, I wanted to check to make sure the one mounted on the wall worked.  I'm standing very close to it, trying to see if their is a "test" button.  It shouldn't be this complicated to check the detector but I'm sticking with it until I know the thing works.

Well, I figured out the best test method for one of these.  Keep exhaling directly over the thing.  All of the sudden it went off and shocked me.  And then I had to laugh.  It works!  All of the CO I was breathing out directly on top of it was enough to set off the alarm.  So, if you are curious if your CO detector works and can't find a test button, just keep breathing on it for a couple of minutes.

Oh and I just learned, you should actually test it with the exhaling method and not just the button pushing method every 2-3 years.  Apparently, the battery will keep working and when you push the button it is checking that.  However, the CO sensors wear out and the detector will have to be replaced every 5-10 years or so.  The only way to test the CO sensors is by blowing CO on them.  Good to know! :)
Photobucket

2 comments:

Julie Anna Sanchez said...

You exhale CO2 not CO, you know that right?

Lisa said...

Yeah I do know... hee,hee,hee...

The thing still went off though with the CO2 build up anyhow and it slightly confused me for a moment.