Saturday, May 25, 2013

in an instant

A week ago yesterday, my mom and I went in to her parents house. We were there to help take them shopping--just like a regular day. One of us would take my grandmother to the store and the other would stay home with my grandfather. Before our shopping trip, we decided to have a picnic with my grandparents in their living room. We picked up some sandwiches from Subway and I attempted to feed Devin in a stroller. My grandpa ate on the couch with a TV tray in front of him. Really, he sat there and enjoyed the company and watched the rest of us eat. He is a picky eater and did not like his turkey sandwich.

I took grandma shopping and mom stayed home to "babysit." We came home and put the groceries away, then stayed and chatted for awhile. Devin found the stroller (yes it is pink... it is a spare one my mom keeps in the back of her car... I was just grateful for any stroller and didn't care what color it was!), pushed it over to the front door then climbed up in it. He was trying to reach the door handle. My child is definitely a climber and explorer!! Devin also sat on Grandpa's lap for a little while and Grandpa kept telling him that he was so cute. He loved holding Devin and you could just his feel and see love for his great grandson! 
(Terrible picture quality... I know!)
We gave everyone a hug and went home. Life was completely normal. We went on a date and walked around a couple of festivals downtown.

And then it changed. 

9:04 pm my phone rang. My first thought was who is calling this late?! And who ever it is, they are lucky my phone is still on because I normally turn it off about that time when we start getting ready for bed. (We go to bed early because Casey has to wake up so early for work!) I see it is my dad. The conversation went like this:
"Hi Lisa. I have some really bad news."
"Grandpa died this evening and we are in the hospital."
"What?! How?! We were just there today and he was fine!!" (It was like I was trying to convince my dad that he was wrong.)
"He had a heart attack. I have to go. I have to make some more phone calls."
"Ok." And we hung up and I started to cry!
Life changed in that instant. I am so blessed to have spent so much time with my grandparents. When I was growing up, I would always follow my grandpa around and was his little helper. On Thanksgiving, we would always sit together on the piano bench. I just wanted to be with him. And now he was gone. I kept thinking of how grateful I was that I was able to have a picnic with him and one last hug. And mostly how deeply grateful I am for the Plan of Salvation and the Blessings of the Temple. Life continues on. And I will be with my grandpa again!

This past week was spent with extended family and planning the funeral. I was also with my grandma and parents a lot helping to make phone calls, cleaning, making dinner, running errands, etc.

Devin loves carrying around Grandma's cane.
We have spent many hours here and Devin never grows tired of it.
The funeral went well. I was not as sad as I thought I would be because I kept holding onto the knowledge that life and marriage and family does not end in death. I know that I will see him again! But I do miss him! During the funeral, all of the grandchildren and great grandchildren sang a Primary song. We took Devin up there with us and he sang his little heart out. It was cute and thankfully he was making happy noises but he was LOUD. He just wanted to participate and sing with everyone else and he wanted to hold his own copy of the music.
With my Grandma at the funeral.
I knew that Grandma was going to wear a brown dress...
so... we all wore brown to match & support her.
As we drove to the cemetery, it became more real. More final. I was sad and cried. My grandpa was in the Navy during WWII. We listened to "Taps" and watched the flag be folded. It was really neat to watch my cousin (who is in the ROTC at BYU) present the flag to my grandma.
Helping Daddy put away the chairs after the luncheon
It is amazing how life can change in an instant. It is a good reminder to not take it for granted. To slow down and spend time with those we love. To unplug and really listen. To make memories and treasure them forever.

Goodbye Grandpa. Until we meet in heaven, I will cherish all our memories together!
One of those treasured memories....
This was last fall when Baby Bunny was bald!

No comments: